I am a writer, storyteller and advocate of well-chosen words. I can turn a phrase and find the hook others overlook. As an editor, I coordinate content calendars, corral freelance contributors and coach student writers. I consult, copyedit, fact-check, proofread and assist with digital uploads. I am personable, creative and adept at managing effective communications plans and people who can execute them. I am known for my enthusiasm, compassion, composure under pressure and attention to detail.
● Writing (editorial, marketing and advertising styles)
● Strengthening social media engagement
● Copyediting (AP Style & Chicago Manual of Style)
● Fact-checking and researching
● Content editing (magazines and books)
● Directing content development
● Guiding junior journalists and interns
● Consulting publication staffs
Freelance Writer, Copy Editor and Editorial Consultant, various local and national publications January 2000 – Present
Editor, Sky Blue Window December 2013 – April 2016
Copy Editor, Sky Blue Window July 2013 – November 2013
Senior Editor, Endless Vacation Magazine September 1994 – January 2000
Associate Editor, Endless Vacation Magazine October 1993 – November 1994
Public Relations Specialist, IUPUI Office of Learning Technologies August 1990 – January 1991
Full-time Freelance Writer August 1988 – October 1993
Current Copy Editor of national award-winning PATTERN Magazine, which celebrates creators of fashion, design and pop culture.
Copyedited and wrote for Rolls-Royce corporate communications' Defense News for Indy Operations newsletter and Rolls-Royce 2016 Year-End Achievements brochure.
Copyedited the 2016 and 2017 Indianapolis LGBT Film Festival Guide and wrote content for the publications.
Wrote education content for NoMeanCity.com, an online publication providing “a citizen’s guide to community, culture, schools and housing—one that tells real stories of what it means to call Indy home.”
Editor for Sky Blue Window, a daily online arts and culture magazine that served Indianapolis and surrounding communities (and which was sponsored by Central Indiana Community Foundation).
Copyedited several books published by Quirk Books, a division of Chronicle Books.
Copyedited Kiwanis International's Merchandise Catalog for several years and wrote content (merchandise descriptions) for each catalog.
Copyedited and wrote content for Resort Condominiums International's annual catalog of affiliated resort properties.
Wrote product descriptions for Drugstore.com.
Worked as Consulting Editor for Kiwanis International's Circle K Magazine and contributed to Kiwanis International’s additional member magazines. Provided everything from magazine writing and production assistance (for print publication) to online blogs and collateral marketing materials.
Frequent contributor to the National FFA Foundation's communications staff as a writer and regular freelance copy editor.
Publications and corporations for which I’ve written frequently include:
• PATTERN magazine (print and digital versions)
• No Mean City (digital city magazine)
• Skyblue Window (digital daily A&E publication)
• Indianapolis Monthly magazine
• Indy Men’s Magazine
• Indianapolis Dine Magazine
• America West Airlines magazine
• Circle K & Keynoter magazines
• Blue Jackets Bright Futures (National FFA Organization’s member newsletter)
• Bluegreen Resorts member magazine and corporate communications materials
• Resort Condominiums International's RCI Exchanges and Endless Vacation magazine
• Fireside Companion
• IUPUI Office of Learning Technologies (public relations materials).
Bachelor of Science (Journalism/Magazine Sequence), Ball State University
First Place for Arts and Entertainment Writing for Sky Blue Window, bestowed by The Society of Professional Journalists (Indiana Chapter), spring 2015.
Copyright © 2019 Jami Stall Communications - All Rights Reserved.